ReMIX will exploit the benefits of species mixtures to design more diversified and resilient agro-ecological arable cropping systems. Based on a multi-actor approach, ReMIX will produce new knowledge that is both scientifically credible and socially valuable in conventional and organic agriculture. The project will tackle practical questions and co-design ready-to-use practical solutions. The project will span from the specification of end-user needs and the co-design of in-field and on-farm experiments to demonstrations with evaluation of new varieties and practices. ReMIX will contribute to the adoption of productive and resilient agricultural systems.
ReMIX in Figures
- Overcome barriers to stimulate the adoption of species mixtures by farmers and in agri-food chains.
- Unravel mechanisms of plant-plant interactions to maximize resource use efficiency.
- Determine the role of species mixtures in controlling diseases, pests and weeds and alleviating yield damages.
- Demonstrate the role of species mixtures in improving ecosystem service provision and development of resilience to biotic stress.
- Identify key traits and create novel breeding and phenotyping methods. Generate novel breeding material to grain legume / cereal mixtures.
- Develop generic rules for assembling species for efficient cash crop production using process-based simulation models.
- Develop new management techniques to optimize species mixtures performance.
- Optimize settings and specifications for agricultural machinery for harvesting and separating grains.
- Develop a toolbox, a serious game and technical booklets for farmers and advisors.